Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Old dogs?


Well, it took me about eight months but I've finally come down from my high of witnessing one of the greatest performances of my young adult life. I've been to shows that have prompted me to scream lyrics (and not always the correct ones, I'll admit) until my voice is gone, dance until my legs ache and my feet are black, and shove my short, but mighty, build through a crowd of relentless fans, but never have I ever been so awe-struck by a performance that I literally could not move my body.

Eric Clapton, the god himself, if you will, took center stage with former Blind Faith band mate Steve Winwood to deliver a sold-out crowd a set list that easily could have been the soundtrack to a classic-rock history documentary. Trading the spotlight to perform their signature songs and channel former groups such as Traffic, Cream, and Derek and the Domino's, the two always seemed to come back and hit their highest points when coming back to the music that initially brought them together in the late '60s.

The opening number, Had to Cry Today, gave fans a taste of what they were in for: a soulful, blues-rooted Winwood and...do I even need to explain what Eric Clapton can (still) do with his guitar? Another notable Blind Faith cover was Presence of the Lord, which has, since the concert in June, been on repeat in my father's car ever since. The moment when I stopped breathing temporarily, however, came when Clapton revisited the Derek and the Domino's hit, Layla...acoustic. By this point, I was ready to call it a night until I heard this:



And as if THAT were not enough, he went from Jimi to Cocaine. I am not joking, folks. I have the (slightly shaky, but hey) video to prove it. Just because I'm not one to brag, I'll stop here. Below is the set list...oh, oops. That's kind of like bragging, isn't it?



Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Columbus, Ohio - June 15, 2009
Had To Cry Today
Low Down
After Midnight
Presence of The Lord
Sleeping in the Ground
Glad
Well Alright
Tough Luck Blues
Pearly Queen
No Face, No Name, No Number
Little Wing
Forever Man
Georgia On My Mind
Driftin’ (acoustic)
Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out
Layla (acoustic)
Can’t Find My Way Home
Split Decision
Voodoo Chile
Cocaine
Encore:Dear Mr. Fantasy

3 comments:

Bethany and Nadine said...

Yes, I agree that was one of the best concerts that I have ever been to. Steve Winwood is soo great :). A couple of years ago I went to the House of Blues in Anaheim California and I got to here him play. It was awesome because there were only about 200 hundred people there. We need to go to a concert together this summer!

Bethany and Nadine said...

Ok, so I re-read this blog post and not to sound like a creeper but I just think that this post is excellent! The writing, the message, everything! It's so good! I feel like it's straight out of Rolling Stone. You are going to rock your internship this summer. :)

Bethany and Nadine said...

Ok, so I re read this blog post, and I think that it is excellent! Everything is soo good. The message, usage of words, writing style....everything! You are going to rock your internship this summer... I just know it :)